Samoas Brownies! These coconut topped brownies with caramel will become a memorable favorite!
I dreamed these brownies up clear back in August when my family had a brownie bake-off at the family reunion. I brought these.
After they didn’t win, and I was in my little corner licking my wounds, I thought that I should have made something like these Samoas Brownies. The caramel coconut pecan topping is seriously to die for.
I was inspired, in part, by the Samoas Rice Krispie Treats I made a while back. They might be the tastiest thing I have ever stuffed in my face. And make no mistake, stuffing them in my face is exactly what I did. I couldn’t stop doing it. These things are evil that way.
These brownies kind of had the same effect on me. Apparently the chocolate-caramel-coconut combination is my own personal form of ambrosia. I had to send extra brownies in the kids lunches to keep myself from eating the whole pan.
My daughter loves to share her treats with her friends at school. She reports that girls offered her their food, and even their cash, for them.
She didn’t accept the cash, but shared freely. Good girl. I sometimes send extra treats with her, because I know she does this.
There are, of course, other recipes similar to this out there in the interwebs. Most of them, however, melt store bought caramels. I figure, caramel is easy enough to make, there’s no reason not to. It’s probably easier than melting down the candies, if you ask me. And the taste is so much better!
It’s so awesome having trusted basic recipes to build from. It makes these Samoas Brownies a total no-brainer. AND, I dare say they would do very well in the family brownie bake-off!
Want more? Try these family bake-off inspired treats!
(PB Krispie Treats)
- ½ cup butter
- 4 oz. semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup whipping cream
- 1½ cups shredded coconut
- ½ cup pecan chips
- For brownies: Place butter and chocolate in a medium sized microwave safe dish. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring between each, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Add sugar and mix well. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well. Add flour and mix until combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour batter into a greased or lined 9x13 pan. Bake at 350F for 18-22 minutes, until edges are dry.
- For topping: While brownies are baking, make caramel. Melt butter in a heavy saucepan. Add brown sugar and cream, and bring to a boil, stirring. Let boil 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add coconut and nuts to the caramel sauce, stirring to get an even mixture. Pour topping over the top of baked brownies.
- Let cool on the counter or in the fridge before cutting into 20 bars.