A soft and chewy chocolate ginger cookie with chocolate chips and pieces of crystallized ginger.
Servings: 4 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ginger (dry powdered)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips (or chopped semi-sweet chocolate)
- 1/3 cup diced crystallized ginger
- 1/3 cup coarse sugar
Cream butter and sugar for 2-3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add egg, molasses, vinegar, and vanilla. Mix well.
In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients slowly to wet mixture. Mix just until incorporated.
Fold diced ginger and chocolate into the dough.
Roll into 1-inch balls and roll in coarse sugar. Place on baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
Allow cookies to cool before storing in an airtight container.