I had the idea for this layered slush drink weeks ago, and I honestly couldn’t wait to actually make it.
I was a little worried that the reality wouldn’t live up to the idea in my head. Turns out, I had nothing to worry about.
I love the idea of a layered drink. Once you understand the principle behind it, you can make your own beautifully colored creation with almost any flavors you want.
The secret to creating layers is sugar content.
If a liquid with a lower sugar content is on top of a liquid with a higher sugar content, they will tend to stay there. The sweeter stuff naturally wants to be on the bottom.
For this drink, I started with a layer of grenadine. This syrup is very sweet, not to mention colorful, so it makes a good bottom layer. Then I added a layer of Cherry 7-Up. This pink soda is not as sweet as a straight syrup, but still has a fair amount of sugar. I finished it up with a layer of light lemonade.
It has to be a sugar-free drink to keep it floating above the soda layer. Regular lemonade won’t do. Find one with an artificial sweetener. And if you want to spike the drink, add some vodka to this lemonade layer.
The addition of the ice kind of helped keep the layers from mixing too much. Though it melts fast, so get everything ready to go before you start.
And can we just talk about how cute these paper straws are? Since I was making these for Valentines day, I chose flavors in red and pink colors, and straws with hearts and pink stripes. I love these particular paper straws because they don’t disintegrate like some other brands, so you can actually use them, and they come in a ton of cute patterns and colors.
They’re almost a Valentines Day gift all by themselves!
Pink Layered Slush
- 6 cups ice cubes divided
- 6 ounces grenadine (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 cup cherry or strawberry flavored soda *see notes
- 1 cup light lemonade *see notes
- Place 2 cups of ice in a blender and add grenadine. Use an ice-crushing setting to blend into a slush. Pour into 4 separate glasses.
- Quickly rinse blender. Add 2 more cups of ice, and cherry soda. Blend into a slush and carefully spoon mixture into glasses.
- Quickly rinse blender. Add 2 more cups of ice, and light lemonade. Blend into a slush and carefully spoon mixture into glasses.Serve immediately.