True story: I had planned to make these strawberry yogurt muffins. I just liked the idea of strawberries and the pink-red color, and blueberry muffins are soooo cliche, and I already have a blueberry muffin recipe on here, and I’m getting ready for February… and you get the idea.
And then I woke up to a solid foot of fresh snow. Which made my already lackluster desire to go to the grocery store plummet.
So I put my slippers on and made a thorough search of my freezer and found a half a bag of frozen blueberries. It is literally the only thing resembling a berry in my house. (Except some frozen cranberries leftover from this Cranberry Pecan Pie… but cranberries are SO last month.)
I let the blueberries thaw, and when I used my half-cup measure to scoop them into the muffin batter, I got a lot of juice with them. Which is just what I wanted. It gave the muffins such a cool swirly look.
If you want to use strawberry yogurt and some frozen strawberries, you should do it. And then send me photos and your report of the finished product, because it sounds kind of amazing to me. Though, you might have to run a knife through the strawberries, since the frozen ones are often packaged whole.
I like using yogurt to really give the muffins some extra flavor and texture. I almost always have yogurt cups in the fridge anyway, and one of these 6-ounce cups is the perfect size.
By the way, how cute are these baking cups? They are kind of my favorite thing right now. I love this quatrefoil pattern, and while they come in a bunch of fun colors, this gray really suited my mood today.
If you really wanted to, you could dress these muffins up with a little glaze. Just mix some powdered sugar with a small amount of milk in a small bowl, and either drizzle it over the top, or just dip the tops of the muffins in. It kind of puts a finishing touch on the whole thing.
Don’t you think?
Blueberry Yogurt Muffins
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 ounces blueberry yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries mostly thawed
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Mix butter and eggs in a large bowl or stand mixer. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Add yogurt and mix well.
- Add salt, baking soda and flour, and mix just until combined.
- Use a wooden spoon to gently fold in berries. Mix just enough to incorporate.
- Prepare a muffin pan by lining with paper baking cups. Fill cups about 2/3 full of batter. (Batter should make 12 muffins so spread evenly between 12 cups.) Bake for 13-18 minutes, until edges are slightly brown.Serve warm.