You guys, May 15 is National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day. I mean, how can I NOT celebrate that?
It’s basically the Holy Grail of cookie holidays. (And because I know you’re going to ask, yes, there are other cookie holidays. Like Cookie Day Dec. 4, and Oatmeal Cookie Day March 18, and National Macaron Day May 31, and a few others.)
This year I wanted to make it easy for everyone to get in on the fun, so I put my chocolate chip cookies on a stick. The kids thought they were really fun, and they were excited to show my creation to their friends and cousins.
Let me tell you the key to putting a chocolate chip cookie on a stick. You can’t just use any old recipe. The cookie has to be kind of stiff and crunchy in order to hold its shape. This cookie uses powdered sugar to help with that.
They also work best if you roll the dough out kind of thick (about 1/4-inch) and cut circles.
I know what you’re thinking… isn’t it hard to get the cookie cutter through those chocolate chips? Why yes, yes it is. How smart of you to notice. In fact, I often found myself digging through the dough to remove an offending chip or two, so I could get the cookie cutter through the dough.
And you may have to finesse those sticks through the dough a little in order to avoid the chips, but this part was not as difficult as I anticipated.
My favorite thing about this cookie is how dang stinkin’ cute it is. You could hand these out as little gifts or prizes, and everyone would be thrilled!
Or you could eat them yourself and be thrilled alone. I did some of that, too!
Celebrate Chocolate Chip Cookie Day in style with these awesome recipes!
Graham Cracker Chocolate Chip Cookies from Kelli’s Kitchen
Malted Milk Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwiches from Tastes of Lizzy T
Corn Flake Chocolate Chip Cookies from Bake or Break
Brown Butter Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Cookies from A Cookie Named Desire
Chocolate Chip Cookie Pops from Jen’s Favorite Cookies
Avocado Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies from Posed Perfection
Chocolate Chip Cookie Pops
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Cream shortening, sugar and powdered sugar. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Add salt and baking powder and mix well. Add flour and mix just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Wrap dough tightly in plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Roll chilled dough on a well floured surface, to ¼-inch thickness. Cut 2-inch circles (or other shapes).
- Push sticks into the circle from the side toward the center. Carefully place cookie and stick on a lined baking sheet. (If desired, you can chill these in the freezer for 2-3 minutes to help them keep their shape.)
- Bake at 375F for 13-15 minutes, until edges are sightly brown. Let cool for 2-3 minutes on the baking sheet, then use a pancake turner to carefully transfer cookies to a cooling rack. Do not pick up cookies by the stick until they have cooled completely.