Do you ever wonder what cookie I dream about?
Well, I’ll tell you. Lately, it’s been this Brown Sugar Cookie. It’s such a deceptively simple cookie with amazing brown butter flavor. If you wanted a cookie to taste like caramel, this is what you would make.
When my nephew, Happy Man, asked for caramel and marshmallow in his birthday cookies, I immediately thought of the Brown Sugar Cookies.
I actually went hunting for caramels to stuff in them, but Robb suggested I use Rolo’s. He was totally right about that. It was a perfect choice.
Since I was also stuffing the cookies with marshmallows, I decided on the Rolo minis. They were still plenty big for stuffing inside a cookie, and there were no wrappers to deal with.
I also used mini marshmallows because who wants to cut up the big ones?
Why yes, laziness IS the motivating factor in my kitchen.
In the end, I’m happy if Happy Man is happy. And Happy Man was thrilled to get his very own box of custom birthday cookies, so I guess that is a good sign.
And I have half a bag of Rolo minis leftover. Now, what to do with those?
Caramel Marshmallow Cookies
- 14 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups flour
- Rolo minis
- miniature marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons each sugar and brown sugar for rolling
- Place 10 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until butter turns brown.
- Cut remaining 4 tablespoons of butter into chunks and place in the mixing bowl. Pour hot brown butter over the top, and let sit a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Once all the butter is melted, add brown sugar and mix well.
- Add egg and yolk, and vanilla, and mix well. Add salt, baking powder, and flour, and mix until combined.
- In a small dish, combine sugar and brown sugar for rolling. Take a large piece of dough and flatten the center. Press two mini marshmallows and one mini Rolo in the center, and wrap dough around and seal tightly. (It should make a large 2-inch cookie.) Roll cookie in sugar mixture and place on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350F for 14-16 minutes. Let cool for 1-2 minutes on the pan before transferring to a cooling rack.