This s’mores cookies recipe uses graham cracker chocolate chip cookies and toasted marshmallow frosting, a great summer treat!
Happy Man turned seven this week. Happy Man is my nephew and he is one hysterical kid. I still think about the week he spent his afternoons with me a couple years ago. He asked me about my brakes. What 5-year old does that?
A couple months ago, Happy Man’s brother, Scooter, had a birthday too, and I gave him an entire batch of these gorgeous Brownie Cookies. They were a hit, and with good reason. They’re freaking amazing, if I say so myself.
I don’t think Scooter shared his cookies with Happy Man. It was very sad.
I told Happy Man he would have his very own entire batch of whatever cookie he wanted for his birthday. Trouble was, Happy Man had no idea what kind to choose. And, Mom said he likes everything. Which narrows it down to any flavor in the universe.
Since our two families frequently go camping together, I have these memories of Happy Man with marshmallow all over his face after eating s’mores. And since it was the only thing I had to go on, the S’mores Cookies were born.
This is not my first time baking with graham crackers. In fact, adding some graham cracker crumbs to the chocolate chip cookies is just SO fantastic. It gives a little unexpected oomph to the cookies. I figured some marshmallow frosting would put these right over the top.
I wish Happy Man could have seen me using the kitchen torch. I know he would have been impressed. He would probably have 25 questions for me about it, and then remember the experience for years.
If you don’t have a torch, don’t worry, these are still fantastic without torching. I just love the color and texture the torch gives the edges. It’s the difference between marshmallow and toasted marshmallow. And, if you’ve ever been around a campfire, you know that’s a pretty significant difference.
Besides, it’s not every day a kid turns 7!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbsq
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
For Marshmallow Frosting:
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- dash salt
- pinch cream of tartar
- Cream butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla and mix well.
- Add salt, soda, and graham cracker crumbs and mix well. Add flour and mix until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Drop spoonfuls onto a baking sheet and bake at 350F for 8-10 minutes. Let cool.
- For frosting, place egg whites, sugar, salt, and cream of tartar in a mixing bowl and mix on high for several minutes until stiff peaks form.
- Fill a piping bag with frosting and pipe a generous amount onto the bottom side of a cookie, and sandwich with another cookie.
- *Optional step: Use a kitchen torch to lightly brown the frosting.