This buttery shortbread recipe is sure to please! The fresh lemon flavor is perfect for spring.
I love Mothers Day. I never really want it to be a big deal, just an easy, enjoyable day.
I always tell my kids, what I want for Mothers Day is breakfast in bed, and handmade cards. This year, my 15-year-old said, “All you want is a handmade card? Really?!”
I think he was slightly more disappointed when I told him I would love it more if it was heartfelt rather than slapped together while breakfast was cooking. But, even a hastily slapped together sentiment will do.
I might have to add one more thing to my list, though, because honestly, I love cookies. And cookies really should be consumed on Mothers Day. Something with a fresh, springtime flavor. Something simple.
This lemon shortbread is perfect for Mothers Day. I added thyme to it because, well, I love thyme. And putting an herb in a cookie is interesting. And moms love that kind of stuff.
Speaking of things moms love, my friends are back, this time to celebrate Mothers Day! We’ve put together 13 fantastic Mothers Day recipes just for you. There’s sure to be a few things you and your mom will enjoy. Check out each one of these awesome recipes!
1. Coconut Cupcakes from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
2. German Apple Cake from Magnolia Days
3. Baked Lemon Pasta with Broccoli and Shrimp from What Smells So Good
4. Cinnamon Pear Cake from Roxana’s Home Baking
5. Strawberry Whiskey Sour from Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
6. Huevos Rancheros from Crumb Blog
7. Triple Lemon Cake from Created by Diane
8. Banana Chocolate Chip Bread from Chocolate Moosey
9. Lemon Thyme Shortbread from Jen’s Favorite Cookies
10. Pineapple Coconut Sweet Rolls from Pineapple and Coconut
11. Caramilk Stuffed No-Knead Brioche from Gotta Get Baked
12. Mom’s World Famous Sponge Cake from Hungry Couple NYC
13. Brown Butter Pecan Fudge Ripple No-Churn Ice Cream from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
More shortbread recipes you and your mom will love!
|Pecan Sandies||Russian Tea Cakes||Almond Shortbread|
- ¾ cup butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, (leaves removed from stems)
- 1½ cups flour
- Cream butter and powdered sugar. Add salt, zest, lemon juice, and thyme. Mix well.
- Add flour and mix well.
- Wrap dough tightly in plastic wrap and chill for 1-2 hours, until firm.
- Roll dough on a floured surface to ¼-inch thickness. Use cookie cutters or a knife to cut shapes approximately 2 inches in width. Place shapes on a baking sheet and bake at 350F for 8-10 minutes. Let cool before eating.
buttery shortbread recipe