Easy Pumpkin Bars; These bars taste just like a pumpkin roll, but without the rolling! Try these easy pumpkin bars.
I love a good pumpkin roll.
My sister-in-law and I usually make 2 every year for Christmas. We store them in the freezer, bring them out all frozen and wonderful, cut a few slices, plop a big spoonful of fresh whipped cream on top, and savor slowly.
Then we get another slice.
This is one of my favorite Christmas traditions.
The problem is that pumpkin rolls are not particularly easy to make, and they are certainly not easy to make look good. The cake always cracks, or the frosting squishes out, or our rolling technique fails us, or some other disaster happens to make our pumpkin rolls really not beautiful.
Tasty still, but not beautiful.
I decided it was time I make life easier on myself. This year, I’m making my pumpkin roll into bars. This way, I can still get all the pumpkin-and-cream-cheese goodness without the rolling.
One thing I will say for these bars, they are a touch on the sticky side. Which isn’t a huge problem for me, because I prefer them frozen anyway.
I’m telling you this because I recommend you freeze yours, too. Bake them, let them cool, then freeze for a few hours. Pull them out of the freezer and let them sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before cutting and serving.
I’ll let you decide about the whipped cream!
My other issue with pumpkin rolls is that they are practically impossible to roll by yourself. You just need four hands, two is never enough.
Which means I can never just make them because I feel like it. I always need to make them for some specific purpose so I can ask for help. This bar version makes them much easier to make on your own.
And thus, much easier to eat for no reason whatsoever, except that you really like pumpkin and cream cheese.
And really, who doesn’t?
Follow this Pumpkin Recipes board on Pinterest!
More seasonal favorites you might enjoy:
|Eggnog Bars||Pumpkin Sugar Cookies||Molassees Bars|
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅔ cup pumpkin
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup flour
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Mix together sugar, eggs, pumpkin, and lemon juice.
- Add salt, baking powder, and spices, and mix well. Add flour and mix until combined.
- Pour pumpkin batter into a 9×13 pan. (*I prefer to line the pan with parchment paper)
- In a separate bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, egg, and vanilla, stirring until smooth. Pour cream cheese mixture over the pumpkin batter.
- Use a knife to swirl the pumpkin layer into the cream cheese layer a little.
- Bake at 350F for 25 minutes, or until center is set.
- Remove from oven, and let cool. Place bars in the freezer, and freeze several hours.
- Remove from freezer, and let thaw for 5-10 minutes before cutting into bars and serving.