Krispie treats plus popcorn, plus peppermint marshmallows, plus chocolate. This recipe for chocolate peppermint popcorn krispie treat bark is no-bake, fast, easy, and tasty!
Having blogging friends is the best. They’re super friendly and helpful, and I have learned a mega-ton from my blogging friends.
One of the single most useful things I have done is join a Facebook group for food bloggers. We talk about pretty much everything food-blogging-related. I’ve made friends in this group, discovered amazing blogs with even more amazing recipes, and learned lots of technical stuff. There’s no self-promotion allowed, so the discussions are always on topic.
I always know that if I’m up against a wall, I can go to this group for help. If they don’t know the answer, they can usually help me figure out where else to look.
Since it is the first anniversary of this particular awesome-sauce facebook group, we’re celebrating with shoutouts. Well, and food, of course. So, this is the part where I give a big fat shoutout to Jessica at Oh Cake for organizing and administrating this group. It’s probably one of the coolest things she has ever done.
Since I’m addicted to the Food Bloggers Network, and I’m addicted to popcorn, this recipe was a natural leap. And I’m not joking about the popcorn part. We literally eat popcorn at least twice a week. It probably the largest source of fiber in my family’s diet.
I did learn something interesting making this treat, something I totally should have seen coming but totally didn’t. Did you know that dry popcorn is really staticky? I was worried that whole popcorn might be too chunky for this treat, so I decided to give it a rough chop with a knife.
Then tiny pieces of dry popcorn went everywhere and stuck to everything. I couldn’t even scoop them into the garbage can, because they stuck to the cutting board, the knife, and my hand.
Perhaps, if the humidity level inside my house was higher than 2-and-a-half percent, the result would have been different.
In retrospect, I’m not sure the rough chop step was actually necessary, I’ll just leave that decision up to you.
At the risk of tooting my own horn even more than usual, let me tell you that this might be my most brilliant concoction ever. I seriously could not stop eating it. It was at least as bad as the Cream Cheese Mints I made a couple weeks ago. The popcorn actually gave the treats a little bit of a marshmallow-like texture, which I know sounds weird, considering there are actual marshmallows in it, too.
I’ll be surprised if this lasts more than a day at your house. It lasted only about half a day at mine!
- 6 T. butter
- 1 pkg. peppermint marshmallows
- ½ cup peppermint chips or crushed peppermint candies + more for garnish
- 3 cups crisped rice cereal
- 3 cups dry popped popcorn
- 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- Melt butter on the stove, add marshmallows, and heat and stir until the mixture is melted and smooth.
- In a large bowl, place cereal, popcorn, and peppermint chips. Pour melted marshmallow mixture over the top, and stir until mixture is evenly coated and consistent throughout.
- Place in a greased baking sheet, and press flat. (*see notes)
- Melt chocolate and spread over the top of the cereal mixture. Garnish quickly with more peppermint pieces. Let chill 10-20 minutes, then cut into pieces.
If you enjoy this recipe, you might also enjoy:
This post linked up at: Chocolate Chocolate & More;