These chocolate cookies are a lot like brownies, rich, moist, and delicious. This chocolate cookie recipe uses buttermilk in both the cookie and the frosting.
When I first started this blog, my mom tracked down an old family recipe for a cakey, frosted chocolate cookie that my great-grandmother used to make. In fact, it was one of the first cookies I shared with you.
Lately, I have been dreaming of that cookie, remembering how wonderfully rich and flavorful it was. I’ve been meaning to make it again.
Then last week, my great aunt passed away. We knew it was coming, but it was still sad. She was an amazing woman, warm and caring, with 8 children and approximately 452 grandchildren.
Seriously. They’re my cousins, and I don’t know who half of them are, because there are far too many to keep track of.
If the whole family was in high school together… the school would be overcrowded. You get the idea.
The passing of beloved Aunt B was the final excuse I needed to bake chocolate cookies. Well, I never need much of an excuse to make something chocolate. Let me rephrase. It was the final excuse I needed to make the family recipe.
Oh, hooray for family recipes that are chocolate!!
I learned something new this time around, while chatting with my mom about the funeral and the cookies. Mom said that Aunt B stopped making the cookies because they are a lot like brownies, and it’s easier to make brownies.
I might be the world’s biggest brownie fan, but honestly? I think I’d rather have these cookies. They are deliciously cakey and moist and brownie-like, but please don’t let that stop you.
Besides, they are coated in the single tastiest chocolate frosting in the known universe.
I’m sure when I get to heaven, I’ll find both Aunt B and these cookies there.
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1⅔ cup flour
- 4 T. butter, melted
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 1 T. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. buttermilk
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- Cream shortening and sugar. Add egg, melted chocolate, and vanilla, and mix well.
- Add buttermilk, salt, and soda and mix well.
- Add flour, and mix just until combined.
- Drop spoonfuls onto baking sheet, and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Remove carefully and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- For frosting, combine all ingredients, mixing until smooth. Use a small amount of frosting on each cookie.
- Store in an airtight container between layers of wax paper.