Some friends and I decided to get together and share with you some fun Mother’s Day ideas. Because Mother’s Day is awesome. I found myself in something of a conundrum when my original post idea turned into an embarrassing kitchen disaster. Like really embarrassing. Like, so embarrassing, my son wanted to turn my dessert into a practical joke by feeding it to his brother. Yeah, I felt super awesome when he said that out loud.
I went back to the drawing board and made a cupcake that involves my own mom’s favorite things: chocolate and diet coke. And this one was no disaster at all! In fact, it was super easy, pretty quick, and really delicious. Which makes it the perfect thing for Mother’s Day.
I had some serious mothering moments recently, when
my husband and I my son was studying for a math test. I borrowed my daughter’s Ikea whiteboard/chalkboard easel, which has been worth every penny Santa spent on it, and set it up by the kitchen table for full classroom effectiveness. I also borrowed her dry erase markers in 6 colors. I’m a big fan of using different colors.
Long story short, we struggled, cried, yelled, and worked our way through several hours of math review. We had moments when we wanted to throw in the towel. Or throw dry erase markers at each other. Or throw ourselves in bed. Those, my friends, are the moments when you need cupcakes. Heavenly, rich, chocolate cupcakes.
Here’s a math problem for you. Let’s assume you’re doing the Weight Watchers Points Plus plan. How many points are 1 cake mix + 1 egg white + 1 can of Diet Coke divided by 12? Okay, okay… I’m not doing Weight Watchers. But I’ve heard the answer is 5. FIVE POINTS EACH. Which is pretty awesome, for a cupcake. (Where did I hear this, you ask? All over the place. Notably, at Skinny Taste, although that version had two egg whites, and no frosting.)
Here’s a fun fact you should consider, though. The box of cake mix is supposed to make 24 cupcakes, but when you do it this way, the cake will be denser, and will therefore not go as far. I ended up with 14 cupcakes, although I’ll admit that a couple of them were on the small side.
A chocolate cupcake and diet soda break really did help when my brain was hurting from all that math.
I really hope
we he did well on that test.
My friends and I are thrilled to get together and show you some of our favorite Mothers Day ideas. Please visit everyone’s site and see what they created for you!
1. Barb at Second Chance to Dream created this Succulent Book Planter.
2. Connie at Measured By The Heart created this Bath Cream Sundae, and included some printable gift tags.
3. This one is me. I’m hoping you already know that.
4. Natalie at North Shore Days made these Button Charms.
5. Adele at Mammy Made made this Mothers Day Wall Hanging.
We hope you are inspired to give your Mom some love this Mother’s Day!
- 1 box Devils Food cake mix
- 1 can diet cherry cola
- 1 egg white
- 2-3 T. butter, softened
- powdered sugar
- Combine cake mix with egg white and 10 oz. soda (about 1¼ cups).
- Scoop batter into lined cupcake pan, and bake according to package directions. (Mine was 350 degrees for about 18-20 min.)
- For frosting, mix butter with about 1 oz. diet cola, and powdered sugar. Add sugar until frosting is desired consistency.
- Frost cooled cupcakes.